9/04/2007

Back to School

School Spirit.

Yesterday, Courtney and I prepared for school. So in the morning, we did a beauty session together with Sheila and Michaela - first, we made homemade facial masks and put them on and then we did our finger- and toenails. That was so much fun!
In the afternoon, Courtney, Sheila and I went to Macomb Mall again. After I had read the dress code in some school information sheets I thought that I might need some extra tops just to make sure my shirts could be considered low-cut in NOW WAY ;) and I wanted to get some summer shoes since the dress code said something about appropriate footwear and we weren't sure whether that includes flip flops.
I found everything so I have 4 new tops now in black and different shades of grey (so they go with all my shirts) and a cute pair of ballerina shoes (kind of black and grey...). I made good deals again!
Last night, I packed my backpack for school, Courtney and I both chose our Back to School outfits and then we out on another facial mask and started watching a movie. We didn't finish it though since we wanted to go to bed a little ealier.
I didn't sleep much because I was afraid I might not hear my alarm clock in the morning. It was set to 5.30 (which is insane, I know, but hey, my school day starts at 7.11!). So in the morning, I took a shower, got ready and dressed, had some cereals, then Sheila took some 1st-day-school pictures of Courtney and me (Courtney was very nervous this morning) and we left.
Surprisingly, I found everything in the school okay although today everything was totally messed up - the classes were way shorter than usual so they only took half the school day and during the other half, we were seperated into our grades - so I was with the other Juniors all the time - and did different activities. Before 1st hour, we had homeroom which we also only have on our 1st day and the lunches were different today, too.
Homeroom was okay, just getting my schedule (again??) and a few announcements. The homeroom hours were seperated by last names so I was with other students that have a last name starting with R or S.
Then I had my 1st hour, CP Chemistry with Ms Potter. She's awesome! She seems so nice and open... She started playing this name game with us but we didn't get to finish it.
My 2nd hour was US History. Mr Tatum - or, Mr "T" - is one of those typical history teachers but he's okay. There are a lot of Freshmen in this class but there are a few Juniors and Sophmores and even one Senior.
Drafting's my 3rd hour. Mr Caldwell seems to be a cool guy but he played this weird, senseless game with us checking whether 2 people in the class might have the same birthday. Actually, there were 2.
After Drafting, I usually have lunch but not today.
After (usually) lunch I go to my 4th hour which is Writing Workshop with Ms Wolff. She's a cool young lady but I don't like my classmates that much so far... Many of them seem to be this kind of kids that don't care about school at all and keep disturbing the lesson. The fact that there are so many in this class is probably because it's actually a class to improve your English writing skills and most of the students are students that failed an Enlish class last year. Well, I might wanna go to my counsellor and get me out of that class and into Composition by the end of the week... but first, I want to try this one for a few days. It might still be good, you never now.
My 5th hour is Pre Calculus. Mr Curtis seems to be a strict teacher and it sounded as if he wants to go through the topics pretty fast. Actually, I don't need to get a new calculator because mine is the recommended one! That's pretty sweet. Back to Mr Curtis... although he seems strict he's still totally fair. If someone needs help in their Pre Calc stuff, they can meet him in his room before first hour (he's already in the school by 6.30!) or o to him after hour and ask him to stay longer after school so he can help them then. He said he's always willing to do that.
My 6th hour is Drawing with Ms Ritchie. She seems serious about work and always concentrated, that's cool. I hope I'll learn a lot in that class. I sat next to this really funny Sophemore guy, his name is Ben and I borrowed his pen for a minute and then he obviously wanted to start a conversation, so he pointed up at a picture at the wall and said 'Remember painting that one with oily pastels in elementary school?' I was like... 'Nooo...' And he said 'What?? You don't remember that one? EVERYONE did that!' 'Well, I've actually never been to an US elementary school...' and so I told him that I'm a German exchange student which impressed him a lot ;) and we got into a conversation...
For the second half of the day that I spent with the other Juniors, we first had an assembly in the Large Gym where they told us something about the school policies, then we went out to the Track Field where we got some ice-cream, a student planner (it's actually a pretty cool one) and were able to sign up for clubs (I signed up for the drama club, let's see how that'll work out...). After that we had lunch (finally!!! I was starving!!!) and then another assembly in the Small Gym were they said some stuff about Homecoming and how to get involved in the preparations. Well, I might wanna get involved there, too... but first I'll check about the drama club stuff.
In the end, there was another huge assembly in the Large Gym for all the students of the school. They had some games there (one grade against another and stuff like that) and the teachers did a fashion show showing in a funny way what inappropriate and appropriate clothing for school means.
After that, I walked home with Courtney and her friend Chelsea.
I actually think I've met one of the other exchange students that are supposed to be in the school at the moment. We sat next to each other during the Junior assemblies and he sat in front of me during the big assembly and like me, he didn't seem to really know anyone. He also looked kind of foreign. But whenever I was turning over to him to start a conversation he kept looking away quickly... weird guy! I talked to Sheila about that and she said his English might not be very good and he was afraid to say something. That's probably sure.
In the afternoon, we had a snack, signed the school papers that had to be signed, did our chores and then we had dinner. After dinner, Courtney and I walked up to Rite Aid which is a supermarket. We bought some school stuff there like pens, highlighters, notebooks and binders.
Back home, I packed my lunch.
Now, I will just check my mail real quick and then I'll go to bed!


Fortunately, tomorrow will be a 'normal' school day so I can actually get used to that ;)

No comments: