11/08/2007

Some New Stuff in November

It feels like a new "chapter" or something...

So, the first marking period is over (means we get report cards next week or so), marching season is over, and everything seems to start new. I like it, though... but I do miss marching band a lot.
So on Sunday, Sheila, Courtney and I went to church together and after that, we went on a biiig shopping tour. First Sheila stopped at the Fruit Market, then we went to Sam's Club which is... a store where you can just get ANYTHING from food and household equipment to electronics, clothes, books,... I finally found an international calling card there!!
After that, we went to Meyer's, a huuuuge supermarket. I bet we spent more than an hour in each store, it was a really big shopping day!
When we got home, we helped Doug in the garage first - he built a corner thing for the bikes and tools and stuff like that and we helped him set up the whole frame - and then put all the groceries away.
Monday wasn't really exciting... in band, we watched our performance at the State Finals once again, and we got the stuff the band moms had found in our uniform and raincoat pockets... so now, it was definitely over. It still makes me so sad, I loved that time!
BUT band stuff really goes on for me! On Tuesday, we had our first hour of concert season. I didn't really have anything to play except a symbol and therefore, I wasn't really sure what to think about it but then Mr Kosi called the whole percussion group into the band office and he and Mr Conatan told us that they had too many percussionists and not enough wind instruments and they asked us whether some of us would be interested in learning a wind instrument. So later that hour, I talked to Mr Kosi again and told him I'd really like to learn another instrument, and I told him that I tried to play on trumpets, trombones, clarinets and saxophones before (good old Blaeserklasse times ;) ) and that I can't really handle the mouthpieces for trumpets and trombones and other instruments like that and that I'd prefer to learn a wood wind instrument. He said they'd talk about it and tell me on Wednesday.
On Wednesday though, Mr Kosi wasn't there. Mr Conatan didn't really seem to have much of a plan, he just sent me to look for a clarinet but all I found was empty cases and lonely, single clarinet pieces ^^
So today, I actually got to talk to Mr Kosi again and now he told me they don't really need clarinets but they could use more flutes and whether I wanted to try that. So, I got one of the school flutes and then they sent me in the practise rooms with one of the flute players (daaaaang it what was her name again?? well, she was in the drumline during marching season...) so she'd show me how to put the flute together, how to hold it and how to get a tone out of it. And she showed me my first 5 notes! She said I'm learning fast. I'm really proud that I already played some notes on the flute! I thought I'd never get a tone out of it.
So, now I'm becoming a flute player (an die Deutschen: flute ist nicht einfach nur Floete, sondern hier das Wort fuer Querfloete)! I'm happy, and excited.
Today, I practised about an hour in the afternoon... after that, my arms really hurt ^^ but I'm getting better :)
Come on, LMG flute players, leave me some comments and tips :P
Yesterday, Sheila and I took Courtney to her piano lesson and then we went to Payless, a shoe store similar to Deichmann, where I got the cutest winter boots (blackish/dark brown, with fake fur and tassels - "Bommel") and last night, while Michaela had her dancing lesson, Sheila and I went over to Walmart across the street where I got a winter coat (white, whith more fake fur ^^) and two more pairs of sweatpants (commmmmmfy!).
I'm happy new. Everything all new :)... "Chapter 2" of my exchange year :P well, maybe 3... the first one was probably the getting-used-to chapter before I got involved into anything.
Oh, and I looove the holiday season!

Halloween's just over, and Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up :)

No comments: